Growth Chart for My Little Ones

Sunday, October 26, 2008

17 Oct 2008 - Week 13 of pregnancy and my take on Down Syndrome

I accompanied Tracy to the gynae today for another regular checkup. As usual, she did an ultra sound scan and we can see the baby very clearly.
The main objective this time round is to do a Nuchal Scan (some call it a neck scan). A nuchal scan is a sonographic prenatal screening scan ultrasound to help identify higher risks of Down syndrome in developing babies, particularly for older mothers who have higher risks of such pregnancies. The scan is carried out at 11-13 weeks pregnancy and assesses the amount of fluid behind the neck of the fetus - also known as 'the nuchal translucency'. Babies at risk of Down syndrome tend to have a higher amount of fluid around the neck. Nuchal scanning alone detects 62% of all Down Syndrome with a false positive rate of 5.0%
The above shows where the gynae took the measurement. He measured a few times and it ranges from 1.8mm to 2.1mm, which is normal. At 12 weeks of gestational age, an "average" nuchal thickness of 2.18mm has been observed. If it is more than 2.5mm, then the risk of Down Syndrome will be much higher.

There is another type of scan called the Oscar Test which has a higher accuracy of detecting Down syndrome. However, Tracy and I decided not to take the test. During Jerlene's time, she did not take the test as well. We have been asking ourselves..."So what if the test result is positive?Are we going to abort the baby?" My decision is very clear for myself. No matter what, I will still want to keep the baby. It's still a life and how can we take it away just like that........ Furthermore, what if the result is not accurate and the baby is actually normal? Even with the best non-invasive screens, the detection rate is 90%–95% and the rate of false positive is 2%–5%.

Some friends told me that they will abort Down syndrome baby because they feel that the baby will be suffering his/her whole life. However, I challenge them by asking "How do you know they are suffering? How do you know they are not happier than those normal people?" All I can see is that there are many so called "normal" people like ourselves, are also suffering from all sorts of exam stress, work stress, mental stress etc etc. And when I see those Down syndrome individuals, they seem to be happier and would strive to live their lifes to the fullest. Anyway, the important thing is, the baby is yours and it's your decision to have one. So no matter what happens, I think we have to take full responsibility. My love as a daddy to my own children will always be the same regardless of any situation.

Extracted from Babycenter for pregnancy at 13 weeks:
"How the baby is growing: Fingerprints have formed on your baby's tiny fingertips, her veins and organs are clearly visible through her still-thin skin, and her body is starting to catch up with her head — which makes up just a third of her body size now. If you're having a girl, she now has more than 2 million eggs in her ovaries. Your baby is almost 3 inches long the size of a medium shrimp) and weighs nearly an ounce."

3 comments:

Nomad said...

good for u.... i belong to the category where if my baby is likely to have Down syndrome, I would abort it. Not because the baby is going to suffer, but rather I know I AM going to suffer because I would not be able or bear to go thru the whole passage or lifetime of it.

I have done social work for a while back then with children with down syndrome and it takes alot of dedication and devotion to care for them. Granted they grow up like any other children except for slower pace of learning, yet I do not think i can commit caring them the way life demands for it. So I would honestly admit I am coming from a completely selfish angle and not even trying to be noble.

I think it all boil down to a personal choice. If the parents didnt think they can handle it, then they shouldnt. Definition of life is subjective. afterall...

WWF said...

You are absolutely right. This is really down to personal choice and how each individual perceives life.

Before I had Jerlene, I also asked myself the same question. Honestly, I was quite undecisive then. But when I had Jerlene, not only my lifestyle has changed, my thinking in many ways has also changed quite a bit. That type of bonding and feeling between a parent and his own child is really undescribeable. I've never felt this way prior to having Jerlene.

Anyway, like you said, life is subjective. For me, my current goal is to take good care of my queen and princess(es?).... :-)

WaveSurfer said...

You have my admiration for being firm with keeping the foetus even if (touch wood!) it is detected with abnormalities. It would have to be a very difficult decision for many of us to make, me included.