Growth Chart for My Little Ones

Sunday, February 28, 2016

17 Feb 2016 - Thinking out of the box?

Usually when parents see their kids got all their answers wrong in a test paper, they will most likely get angry and start questioning their kids what happen.  Today Javier showed me his maths test paper.  The moment I saw the first question, I got a shock because it was all wrong!  However after I took a second look, I do not know whether I should scold him or praise him instead.

Take a look at the question below and Javier's answers to it.  His answers are in the rectangular boxes.  Ignore those in the brackets as they were corrections.
Javier was supposed to write the numbers in words (eg. one for the number 1, two for the number 2, so on and so forth).  Instead, Javier wrote two for 1, four for 3, five for 4 etc.  When I asked him why he answered this way, he insisted that he was correct.  His explanation is that the question is asking them to write the following numbers in words.  So he said to me:"Isn't the following number for 1 is two? And following number for 3 is four? and so on..........."

After hearing his explanation, I can't help but LOL!  How can I fault him even if he got it all wrong?  In fact, I must say that he was actually not entirely wrong.  I am not sure if he's thinking too much or he's just thinking out of the box.  I wondered how his teacher felt when she marked this question and saw Javier's answers......haha..........

No comments: