Growth Chart for My Little Ones

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

8 - 11 May 2009 - Javier was hospitalized

On 8 May morning, Tracy called me at office saying that Javier has a little fever (37.5). I thought it's common for baby to feel a bit warmer so I said to monitor a bit more. In the afternoon, his tempeature suddenly shot up to 38.5. That is a bit unusual so Tracy quickly brought him to the PD at Mt Alvernia hospital. After my meeting, I immediately rushed down to the hospital to meet up with Tracy. Javier's temperature then was more than 39. He was put on an intravenous drip and need to administer antibiotics through the drip every 12 hours. When I saw his hand, I really felt very heart pain. He's only 6 weeks old and got to put through so much suffering. Must be very painful when they insert the tube into his vein.
The hospital has taken his blood and urine for some lab test. Javier got to stay in hospital for the next 3 days so that he can continue with the antibiotics administering. On the first night, as there is no more single room, I cannot stay overnight with Tracy and Javier. So I went to pick up Jerlene and went home to take a rest, and prepare myself to take over Tracy the next day.

Next morning, I brought Jerlene to my parent's place and went back to the hospital. Javier's temperature seems to have come down to around 37.5 so we felt a bit relieve. The PD suspected that it's either Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) or viral fever. Need to wait till the lab results are out before we can confirm. I managed to get a single room for today so that I can stay overnight to help out.

On Sunday, Javier's temperature suddenly went up again. The PD said that this trend is not normal and suspected it's probably caused by bacteria infection. True enough, when the lab results are out, it's confirmed that Javier has got UTI. The bacteria is called Escherichia Coli, in short, E. coli. It is responsible for approximately 90% of UTI seen in individuals with ordinary anatomy. In ascending infections, fecal bacteria colonize the urethra and spread up the urinary tract to the bladder as well as to the kidneys. A urinary tract infection is a bacterial infection that affects any part of the urinary tract. Although urine contains a variety of fluids, salts, and waste products, it usually does not have bacteria in it. When bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine, they cause a UTI. Although they cause discomfort, urinary tract infections can usually be quickly and easily treated with a short course of antibiotics. The PD advised us to let Javier stay in hospital till his temperature went down to normal level for a continuous 24 hours.

On monday, although I'm supposed to report to camp for my reservist, I called up to request for one day exemption as I need to bring Javier for an ultrasound scan. This is a precaution to make sure his kidney is not affected by the bacteria. We are glad that the result shows his kidney was not affected. Since last night his temperature has also gone down to normal level. Seems like the antibiotics has kept the bacteria under control. If his temperature continue to remain normal, he can be discharged tomorrow. Javier, be strong ok........

No comments: