Growth Chart for My Little Ones

Sunday, February 8, 2009

7 Feb 2009 - The bravest girl

While I was still sleeping early this morning, I vaguely heard a voice by my ear saying "Milk Milk". When I opened my eyes, I saw Jerlene smiling at me saying "milk milk". I quickly got up to hug her before going out of the room to prepare her milk. After she finished the entire bottle of milk (about 240ml), she asked for more. So I made another 60ml and she finished that as well. It's great to see her appetite comes back.
Jerlene has been coughing for the past few days. Fortunately, she seems ok today as she got an appointment to take her final round of vaccination. She need to take two vaccination today, one for MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella), which was delayed because the PD wants to confirm that she was not the case of autism. Jerlene maintained very good eye contact with the PD today and seems very cheerful. This MMR jab will be the last of all the compulsory vaccination. I held her tightly and tried to distract her while the PD gave her the injection. Without knowing it, it was done and Jerlene did not even make a sound. What a brave girl but that's not the end.

We decided to let Jerlene take another vaccination for pneumococcal as she will be going to childcare very soon. According to the PD, this jab is the most painful of all the vaccination that Jerlene has taken so far. So before that, he kept reminding me and I held her very tightly. However, after the jab was quickly taken, there was again not a single sound from Jerlene. Even the PD was very surprised because this seems rare for kids at her age. Maybe Jerlene was too distracted by the sweets. Anyway, Jerlene, you are such a brave girl. Great work!

The PD warned that for the pneumococcal injection, there is a 5% chance that Jerlene will have fever in the next two days. As for the MMR jab, there is also a 5% chance that she will have fever in 5-7 days time. So we just have to monitor her more closely in the coming week.

After the vaccination, we went to Novena and United Square for a walk. Jerlene had some fun stepping on the projection of images on the floor.
There was a cute moment when the image suddenly changed to a pool of fishes, Jerlene was shocked and stunned on the spot. She did not dare to even move a step.But after some observation and analysis, she started enjoying stepping at those fishes........

2 comments:

WaveSurfer said...

Jerlene is very brave indeed! I can't imagine myself taking two jabs one after another. The doctor's skills need to be complimented too. ^^
You mentioned about the PD monitoring Jerlene for signs of Autism; did anything happen to make the doctor do that?

WWF said...

Last year when we brought her to take the MMR jab, the PD realized that Jerlene is ignoring her name quite a bit. More details at http://jerlene.blogspot.com/2008/05/3-may-2008-concern-on-autism.html.